The second edition of Middle East Talents Awards got stunning and remarkable artworks that express world-class talents of digital artists across the world.
For Cars still category, the winning piece has been awarded to Khaled Alkayed of Jordan for his unique piece of Ferrari Enzo (http://metalentsawards.com/en/contest/view/885). His inspiration and tips will be shared to everyone through an interview here:
1. What is your inspiration to make the winning piece?
“Ferrari Enzo is a personal project. I had worked on it before 6 months and received some awards. The idea came when I was watching movies like Death Race and Mad Max. They gave me the urge to do something similar so I started with Maybach Exelero then Ferrari Enzo. In the beginning my goal was to work in a unique way that distinguished my work from others, which led me to spend quite a bit of time thinking and trying to come up with stranger and better ideas than anything that I’ve ever seen.”
2. Share some experiences during the making of your artwork.
“Before I began modeling, I collected lots of images and references for the car; I found blueprints from Blue Print Box and The Blue Prints. To build the main shape accurately, I started in Maya and used Polygon Primitives to model a simple shape (lowpoly) then continued to the details of the car. For a more detailed guide to making a car have a look at this video in which I explain how I made the body for Ferrari Enzo. I used the same principle to make the body for this piece.”
Video Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_zUvUSscUk
3. What is the best digital art that you have done apart from the winning artwork in META that you want to share to the digital artist community?
4. Please share short message to the young artists who want to pursue their dreams in digital arts.Some general tips:
• If you want creativity and uniqueness in you works, pick an idea that’s beyond your abilities because you will always evaluate yourself in a negative and in a less realistic way. You will never learn or push your abilities further unless your go through a hard experience.
• One of the worse starting points after picking an idea is working without gathering enough references, leading to unrealistic or vague work, and you might reach dead ends because the idea in your imagination is incomplete. So that’s why you should put some effort into searching for references, pictures, other artists work, movies, and games that share a lot of your idea before working on your project. This will help you build a stronger, visualized idea, as well as making your goal clear during the process.
• In the modeling stage, try to use as little vertices as possible for many reasons, like modifying the model when needed. Creating characters with a low number of vertices means an easier skinning process. Having a big memory (ram) will put your mind at ease about the number of vertices, so it will effect the performance of the program during work.
• Do not waste your time and your enthusiasm on details that will not appear in the final result, therefore you should prioritize the things that need more details than the things that will not appear as much in front of the camera – therefore will not need that level of detailing.
• It’s really hard to get a nice distinguished picture without using Photoshop, tweaking and adding some final touches – this was a really hard part for me because I’m not a professional user of Photoshop, which is why I use Magic Bullet Looks for these kind of things by using templates that include a lot of features in the composite and post-production process, as shown in the example.
Our winning artist, Khaled shared beautiful artworks aside from his Ferrari Enzo piece. The artist creations can be seen here: http://metalentsawards.com/en/index/author/366.
Our team wants to extend our appreciation for sharing your talented skills and artful pieces you have shared not only to our team but to the digital artist community. This is a great inspiration to everyone especially to the young artist who wants to pursue the same career.
We, the Pixelhunters and META team wish you a warm congratulation. May your talent will continue to inspire more people as you shine brighter in this career.